ASI2011 home I've decided to start blogging again.
What about? Well, about teaching, education, ideas to engage students, projects, and am looking to get other to contribute and add ideas as well.
ABEL ASI celebrates its 10th anniversary by the way. Here is the comprehensive agenda for this week's conference by the way: ASI2011. Super fun and wonderful networking opportunity to meet likeminded learners!!
|Leaning Tower of Pisa by @trulygreenfish July 2011|
Today's idea: 1EME (One entry, many exits)
- an idea to share one video, piece of media, text and brainstorm a variety of lesson ideas to engage students and be entry points for learning.
I'd love to hear any ideas that you have around a topic I may post as well as comments you may add to an entry to build up a collective collection. 1EME for short.
August 23, 2011 - The Leaning Tower of Pisa (video: Leaning Tower of Pisa)
- Search on Flickr for a variety of perspectives of this building. Do any perspectives evoke a different response from a viewer?
- Recreate cubist artpiece by remixing perspective of this building
- Holding up a building (perspective) can you recreate a photograph where you distort a photograph's perspective?
(My father has one of himself on facebook holding onto the top of the Great Pyramid of Giza as if it was a small ornament.)
- explore an art style, recreate using principals of design and mathematics
- visual literacy - create a poster / ad with your photograph to share a perspective
Also: search Flickr or other Creative Commons collections to see how people around the world have photographed iconic buildings in their area. Compare architectural elements / materials in different parts of the world. You can start: Seven Wonders of the Ancient World or 10 Wonders of the World you Don't know (This is a Listverse blog post I found by - get students to create their own and back-up evidence/proof to their decision and reason for ranking.) New Seven Wonders (of the Natural World) VOTING STILL TAKING PLACE until Nov. 11, 2011!
My class and I had fun a few years ago discussing, comparing, contrasting, ranking and advocating for the New Seven Wonders back in 2007 (Human created).
Architecture and Mathematics
- Strange buildings Go to this site Greatest HIts of World Architecture
using Design Workshop (lite) Google sketchup, or another 3D program like Stella
recreate a building of your choice.
- How can you modify the design to give the above building a Learning Tower "mistake"?
- discussion of properties of 3D solids, structures and other math concepts
Read the Mental floss blog which tries to explain why the tower leans
Why the tower leans.
Problem solve what engineering mastery / manoeuvring is required to straighten up this building? What has been tried before?
- Science/Engineering Properties of forces and natural materials geography (soil composition, sources of stone, mortar), building construction, finance - cost of human and machine resources.
- Compare and contrast modern day construction --> how construction procedures have evolved over time - and differ from country to country.
Did you know that there is a World Soil database?
Examples of humans moving buildings web site.
How Stuff Works: Will the Leaning Tower ever fall? (check out links such as Structural Engineering articles such as 10 Cool things the Romans taught us.)
Fun site to share:
What do you love?
Go to google's website and search a term that you love. :)